Wednesday, April 10, 2013

“DEMOlition”

I bought Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days a couple of days ago at my local Wal-Mart…it was cheap and I was looking for something new to play…so I figured why not. Honestly I tried the demo and didn't really care for it…I also heard from many people that it sucked…but since I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and I had to do something with it, I figured it was either the game or more snacks that I (and my waist) didn't need…so I went with the game.

After a couple of days went by and me coming to my senses I considered returning the game based on how I felt about the demo to get my money back. However, I then remembered I was lazy and I didn't want to waste the gas, so I just decided I would just try it.


Thinking if the game actually sucked as bad as I recalled from the demo, then I would only be out a few dollars. I know that's a stupid thing to say considering that I'm not really banking or anything but I'm not really known for making smart decisions with my money…hence buying a KIA back in the day.

Anyway after playing the game I was pleasantly surprised, it really wasn't all that bad. I wouldn't say it's worth dropping everything and running out to the store to pick it up, but if you're looking for something new to play and you have a few extra dollars laying around then go for it.

The reason for this post isn't to discuss what kind of game Kane and Lynch 2 is, it's about how a bad demo can really ruin the overall bottom line for a game. I try a lot of demos before I buy a game and depending on how I feel about the demo when all is said and done determines whether or not I will buy the game new, used or just forego it all together. It's similar to a movie company releasing a bad trailer for a movie, for the most part based on my feelings towards the trailer, determines if I'll see the movie or not.

I started thinking…I've played and liked games even though the demos sucked, two examples that come to mind is of course Kane and Lynch 2 and the other being F.E.A.R. 2. I wonder how many games I missed out on playing because of bad demos, I know it's probably not many but I'm sure there has been some just like the two aforementioned titles.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I the only one who plays demos? Granted I got these games for a lot cheaper than regular price but I feel as if I missed out on their glory days. I know it's not really a big deal, but the type of person I am, I enjoy talking about things when they are still relevant so I can be involved in all the hoopla.

MJM

No comments:

Post a Comment