Monday, September 9, 2013

“Fanboys”


Now for those of you who don’t know what a fanboy is, click here.

I admit it; I used to be one of them, and to a certain extent still am. When I was younger though I was hardcore, I liked what I liked and no one was going to sway my opinion, well except if it was a hot chick, because we all know T & A supersedes personal favorites and/or any nerd/geek alliance.

I’m also not trying to sound sexist by saying boy instead of “fanpeople”, there are fangirls out there, but for the most part it’s males who fall under this heading, because females are normally too smart to waste their time with this nonsense.

I’ve been a apart of some of the normal everyday fanboy battles, like for example Marvel vs. DC, Star Wars vs. Star Trek and of course Nintendo vs. Sega…and if you don’t know what these things are, you outta be ashamed of yourself.

Then there are the battles that I prefer not to talk about and/or even admit to, but for the sake of this blog I am going to share them. Please go easy on me and do me a favor and just keep it between us here.

The first embarrassing fanboy battle I’ve been a part of would have to be Transformers vs. Go-Bots, and not because of the battle itself, but rather because of what side I chose. I was young and dumb, trying to be an individual, so I went with the Go-Bots even though I knew they were the inferior product.

I fought tooth and nail on many occasions to prove why my Go-Bots were better than everyone else’s Transformers, even when I knew without a shadow of a doubt that they weren’t. Thankfully I finally wised up and jumped on the Transformers bandwagon before it was too late.

And if anyone who brought up the whole Go-Bots debacle I just denied it all and claimed they were lying; they were trying to make me look bad amongst all my peers.

The next one is really hard to admit to, there is no silver lining, it’ is just completely ridiculous. This battle I speak of is Garbage Pail Kids vs. Cabbage Patch Kids.

We all know that for the most part one has nothing to do with the other, of course besides Garbage Pail Kids using the Cabbage Patch Kids likeness that is. My sisters had Cabbage Patch Kids, I had to have something to counteract them, so I went with the closest thing I could find.

In all reality I believe this battle came about because I really wanted my own Cabbage Patch Kid that I could name and love, but I was too afraid to admit it and had to find some way to attack it and hide my true feelings.

Unfortunately there are some fanboy battles that cross gender lines, like for example He-Man vs. She-Ra. Not that either is really bad in itself, but back then the opposite sex had cooties and boys didn’t play with dolls…we played with action figures.  

While I will always be a fanboy, I have matured over time, so there will be no more childish battles, now I’ll battle about things such as which sports team is better and which chick is hotter…you know, grownup stuff.  

There you have it, my true confessions of a fanboy, I hope you enjoyed it and didn’t laugh at me and/or mock me all that much. Remember, I may be a nerd, but I have feelings too.

Oh yeah, by the way, in case you're wondering, Marvel, Tie and of course Nintendo...suck it!

MJM

6 comments:

  1. Did you just diss Marvel? *raises eyebrow*

    Not entirely sure it's the same, but I always preferred Thundercats to Power Rangers.

    And TMNT to lots of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, I was saying that Marvel kicks DC's booty.

      Delete
  2. Nintendo. Oh so much Nintendo. Also, I would've chosen the Garbage Pail Kids too. I was one of those kids who watched everything. I remember watching an old talk show (maybe Donahue?) where people were saying the Cabbage Patch Kids were possessed by demons. I never looked at those damn freckles the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were possessed too, those little bastards were creepy.

      Delete
  3. As the mom of a 14 year old fangirl I have to disagree. Chech out tumblr that seems to be the best place to study fangirls in their natural environment. Be careful many of them seem to be rabid.

    ReplyDelete