Sunday, July 7, 2013

"Walkthroughs, Strategy Guides and/or Any Other Means of Help…"

Am I the only one who doesn't like to use walkthroughs, strategy guides and/or any other means of so-called help (**cough** cheating **cough**) when playing video games? Playing video games using methods such as these is like being a professional wrestler, sure you’re in the match but when all is said and done did you really accomplish anything worthwhile…besides manhandling another sweaty dude in his underwear.

Now I'm talking about on my first play through, the second time around, have at it and cheat like Tiger Woods did on his wife...or like the Republicans did in the 2000 election. I kid Republicans; I really love you, so please don't axe me...or leave me hanging like a chad!

I just like to play and beat the game on my own; it feels like I actually accomplished something when I do. I know there are people who claim it enhances the overall experience, and to those people I would say bull donkey (sorry for the profanities) you are just lazy, impatience and a girlyman (I can be pretty scrappy when I’m behind a keyboard).

I just never saw the reason, it's kind of like reading the book then seeing the movie...there's just no point. Honestly I don’t get the whole “reading” thing in the first place…not when there’s perfectly good movies out there…but to each their own I guess.

If you don’t want to play the game the way it was intended to be played, then why don’t you just watch someone else play from the sidelines…you can be the waterboy and/or even the cheering section. Think about it, it would be like watching a movie…you could have your bucket of butter-drenched popcorn in your lap and a super double gulp Mountain Dew by your side while you watch all the fun play out, and you wouldn’t even have to worry about getting the controller all greasy.

I'm not trying to condemn anyone who prefers this method, it's just not for me...so please don't hate me for my opinion…or beat me up. As far as I’m concerned playing this way is like an unsharpened pencil…it’s pointless.

Another thing, the games of today award players achievements/trophies when they do something special in the game (for the most part anyway), so by using a guide and/or some other form of cheat kind of makes me feel like Milli Vanilli...or better yet Mark McGwire. Now I know people would be none the wiser when they checked out my achievements/trophies lists…but I would know and that’s all that matters.

MJM

6 comments:

  1. My husband plays the same way. He plays through with little to no help the first time, and then tends to use the book when he goes back through. It makes it more challenging for him. What is funny is his parents-they will buy a game and the book. One will play the game and the other one will sit and will read the book to help. I guess you take togetherness how ever you can get it, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband is a smart man...he knows the right way to game and I admire that.

      I guess it's cute how his parents game...still not my thing...but if it works for them then more power to them.

      Delete
  2. I really only use the books for RPGs and stuff. I'm not a completist, and a lot of times there are things I would miss out on. I use it more maps and complex stuff; I skip the walkthrough completely. I don't think I've ever bought a guide for a regular game. I have one for Skyrim, and I have only used it for the potions and Dragon Shouts, lol. Expensive cheat guide...the internet would have done better, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're one of those kind of people...a cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater.

      I guess since you don't do it all the time...and not on regular games...I'll overlook it.

      Delete
  3. I can honestly say video games I could never figure out even with guides and cheats. I gave up and now I just write and blog hop. My challenge this week, how many blog hops can I hop and will I get follwers as a reward. Check out today's blog for more info. You might find some blog hops to follow.

    ReplyDelete